Sunday, July 24, 2011

Saturday, July 23

Hey everyone at home, this is Olivia! As I’m sure you’re all aware of, today is Saturday; the fourth day of our indescribable mission trip adventure...  Wow, as I was typing that I got shocked all over again at how few days it’s been, and how wonderfully long its felt. As each day goes by, I’m more than astounded at how God is growing more in each and every one of us in bigger amounts than we could ever imagine. I know I myself already feel like a new person, and we’re only half way through!

Today’s missions included not one, but TWO migrant camp visits. As BJ called it, it was our big “push”. We left at about 12:30, and physically, I was beat. Tiredness is not a helpful addition to the emotions and feelings we’re all experiencing on this trip, but the upside of that, is God is definitely bigger than all of our tiredness, and has constantly overcome it emotionally AND physically! I noticed this morning that we were all tired and grumpy, then we had our hour long quiet time in prayer and devotions, and everyone came back completely energized and joyful, more or less. As we pulled up to the first migrant camp, (we’d been there two times before) I remembered my little companions or “buddies” as I call them that I had made at this camp the two previous times I had come, and started worrying if they wouldn’t be there for me to pick up and swing around the second I got off the bus.. But, to my surprise, I jumped off the bus, and my little buddy (whose name I can’t pronounce or spell) runs out to me and says, “I missed you last night after you left!” I almost cried. I was so indescribably touched. And through that, God totally lifted me up. He knew I needed that little amount of love and cuteness to put a permanent smile on my face for the rest of the day. Then I looked around, and watched as everyone got off the bus and had similar moments with their own little buddies. I was overwhelmed at seeing the amount of Jesus-like love and compassion for these people who have so little and need so much, and our group was giving them exactly what their deepest hearts desired:  Jesus. The truth about him, and his love, intimacy, and friendship coming out through us. You can progressively watch in the pictures Kerstin took, the children’s smiles grow larger from the when we get there, to when we leave. But that’s not only the beginning to it... Today between the two camps, all together, about 23 people were lead to Christ. Can you say PRAISE GOD? Praise God! Man, how I love it here. I want to do mission work like this every single day of my life.

Backing up a little bit to the hour long quiet time I mentioned: God showed me a verse that gave me joy and peace of body and mind all day long that I would love to share with everyone in hope of spreading joy and peace in all of your hearts back home...  (Acts 2:23-28)I see that the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me. No wonder my heart is so glad, and my tongue shouts his praises! ... My body rests in hope. Lord, you have shown me the way of life, and you will fill me with joy of your presence”. I’m pretty sure this verse speaks entirely for itself. Our Jehovah Jireh never fails. Thank you, Jesus!

So, that’s a wrap on day four.  At the moment we’re going over the schedule for tomorrow, and it’ll definitely be another crazy day. But, in spite of all the craziness and business, I can’t wait. I can already feel God has new mercies and truths to show us that’ll blow our minds away.

Love - Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment